At Student Counselling and Development professional services are rendered to students by professional members of staff qualified in psychology, counselling, social work and psychometry. Our aim is reflected in our motto: Optimising you!
Our role is to be a support structure for students in times of need, as well as to inspire and aid them in developing and reaching their optimal wellness potential in all dimensions of life, ranging from emotional, social, and physical wellness, connectivity, growth and influence.
Some of the services we offer may include (but are not limited to):
- Psychological services, which include individual and group psychotherapy and counselling
- Life and leadership skills and personal development
- Social support services, including HIV/Aids and community-engagement programmes
- Psychometric assessments for both prospective and current students
- Career guidance and counselling
- Enhancing the first-year experience (including adjustment to campus life, and general development for first-time entrants)
- Support for students with disabilities
Please note that services rendered may vary depending on the specific NWU campus.
Who to call in a crisis
When in a crisis situation, it is important to ensure that you call the right crisis centre. The crisis numbers for each of the campuses are:
24-hour phone-in service for any crises:
- The crisis-line number on Mahikeng Campus is only available through Protection Services:
- +27 (0)18 389 2277
- +27 (0)18 389 2167
- For any crisis, please call Thuso 1777: +27 (0)18 299 1777
- Thuso 24-hour crisis centre: +27 (0)82 815 9781
- LifeLine: +27 (0)16 428 1640 / +27 (0)861 322 322
HIGHER HEALTH SADAG 24-hour
The mental health initiative for the HIGHER HEALTH 24-hour student and staff helpline can be accessed as follows:
- Toll-free call 0800 36 36 36
- SMS 43336