At Student Counselling and Development professional services are rendered to students by professional members of staff qualified in psychology, counselling, social work and psychometry. Our aim is reflected in our motto: Optimising you!
Our role is to be a support structure for students in times of need, as well as to inspire and aid them in developing and reaching their optimal wellness potential in all dimensions of life, ranging from emotional, social, and physical wellness, connectivity, growth and influence.
Some of the services we offer may include (but are not limited to):
- Psychological services, which include individual and group psychotherapy and counselling
- Life and leadership skills and personal development
- Social support services, including HIV/Aids and community-engagement programmes
- Psychometric assessments for both prospective and current students
- Career guidance and counselling
- Enhancing the first-year experience (including adjustment to campus life, and general development for first-time entrants)
- Support for students with disabilities
- Concessions and extended writing time (Potchefstroom and Vaal Triangle Campuses). The following documents are available here for the Potchefstroom Campus:
Please note that services rendered may vary depending on the specific NWU campus.
Who to call in a crisis
When in a crisis situation, it is important to ensure that you call the right crisis centre. The crisis numbers for each of the campuses are:
24-hour phone-in service for psychological crises:
- The crisis-line number on Mafikeng Campus is only available through Protection Services:
- 018 389 2277
- 018 389 2167
- Thuso1777 24-hour crisis-intervention service for acute emotional/psychological crises: +27 (0)18 299 1777
- Thuso1777 walk-in service for psychological intervention (Every Monday - Thursday: 8h00 - 12h00, Building E14) (Last walk-in is taken at 11h00)
Vaal Triangle Campus
- Thuso 24-hour crisis centre: +27 (0)82 815 9781
- LifeLine: +27 (0)16 428 1640 / +27 (0)861 322 322