At Student Counselling and Development professional services are rendered to students by professional members of staff qualified in psychology, counselling, social work and psychometry. Our aim is reflected in our motto: Optimising you!
Some of the services we offer may include (but are not limited to):
- Psychological services, which include individual and group psychotherapy and counselling
- Life and leadership skills and personal development
- Social support services, including HIV/Aids and community-engagement programmes
- Psychometric assessments for both prospective and current students
- Career guidance and counselling
- Enhancing the first-year experience (including adjustment to campus life, and general development for first-time entrants)
- Support for students with disabilities
- Concessions and extended writing time (Potchefstroom and Vaal Triangle Campuses).
Please note that services rendered may vary depending on the specific NWU campus.
Who to call in a crisis
When in a crisis situation, it is important to ensure that you call the right crisis centre. The crisis numbers for each of the campuses are:
24-hour phone-in service for psychological crises:
- The crisis-line number on Mafikeng Campus is only available Protection Services:
- 018 389 2277
- 018 389 2167
- InGryp 24-hour crisis-intervention service for acute emotional/psychological crises: +27 (0)18 299 1777
- InGryp walk-in service for psychological intervention
Vaal Triangle Campus
- Thuso 24-hour crisis centre: +27 (0)82 815 9781
- LifeLine: +27 (0)16 428 1640 / +27 (0)861 322 322