You may sometimes just need a little help to be all that you can be! Life-skills development includes conflict resolution, learning to be more giving, and how to notice the smaller things in life. Remember, you have the ability to make a change.
Under the auspices of Student Counselling and Development (SCD), counselling and psychotherapy aim to aid students with life-skills development, personal development and coaching, as well as personal problems. Students have the opportunity to work in one-on-one sessions with a trained professional in a safe, caring and confidential environment where they will be able to express their feelings, beliefs or behaviours. Students will have a chance to work through challenging or significant memories, set personal goals and work towards the desired change. Those who seek therapy do so to cope with major life challenges or childhood trauma, to deal with depression or anxiety, or they simply desire personal growth and a greater self-knowledge. There is no set limit for the number of sessions a student needs, but it rather depends on the unique needs and personal growth.
No student goes through university without facing at least a few problems along the way. These problems may include stress, family problems, lack of self-esteem, relationships, discrimination, lack of motivation, and many more. But remember that you are not alone, at Student Counselling and Development (SCD) there is always someone who can help you through these tough times.
Student counselling services
- Psychological services, which include individual and group psychotherapy and counselling
- Life and leadership skills and personal development
- Social support services, including HIV/Aids and community-engagement programmes
- Psychometric assessments for both prospective and current students (in collaboration with Potchefstroom Campus)
- Career guidance and counselling
- Enhancing the first-year experience (including adjustment to campus life, and general development for first-time entrants)
- Support for students with disabilities
- Concessions and extended writing time (Disability Unit)
Counselling and HIV/Aids are currently located at the A3 Building, Block B, Room 269 (reception). Contact +27 (0)18 389 2592 for more information.
Thuso1777 (Potchefstroom Campus)
In order to facilitate a healthy tertiary-education environment, Thuso1777 offers services free of charge to ensure that students can reach their full potential despite stressors experienced.
Therapeutic services are offered by registered psychologists to promote the psychological well-being of the students in order to assist them with the successful completion of their studies, and for them to experience an optimal student life.
- Individual and group psychotherapy and counselling
- Group debriefing
- Walk-in service (Monday–Thursday: 08:00–12:00)
Please contact Thuso1777 for more information at +27 (0)18 299 1777.
Thuso Crisis Centre (Vaal Triangle Campus)
Thuso is a 24-hour crisis centre under the auspices of Student Counselling and Development (SCD) on the Vaal Triangle Campus.
The main focus of Thuso is the following:
- Trauma counselling (24-hour crisis line)
- Initial counselling (emergency walk-in students)
- Liaison with peer helpers, SCC, HCs, campus healthcare centre
- Professional services and ER24
- Referrals to the campus healthcare centre and SCD (psychologists)
Thuso is an emergency crisis line available for students who are experiencing a mental-health crisis and are unable to cope with the current situation. Our main focus is on suicide prevention and trauma intervention. If you or a peer are experiencing a crisis, please phone the Thuso crisis line or Protection Services or book an appointment.
- Thuso 24-hour crisis help line: +27 (0)82 815 9781
- LifeLine +27 (0)16 428 1640 /+27 (0)861 322 322