Peer helpers on the Potchefstroom Campus are selected according to set criteria, trained in basic helping skills, and placed among their peers to assist and refer students to the necessary services. The peer helpers are coordinated by the SCC: Vice-chair portfolio, working in collaboration with Thuso1777 to guide, train and support the peer helpers.
Peer helpers assist with:
- Leading students to self-understanding
- Basic communication skills
- Bringing about learning and behaviour changes
- Encouraging self-realisation
- Giving support
- Helping students through a difficult time/situation
- Helping students to cope with their circumstances
- Referring the students to the necessary professionals for additional assistance
Contact 018 285 2568 to find out more about peer helpers.
Students Advocating Leadership and Transformation (SALT)
Students Advocating Leadership and Transformation (SALT) is made up of peer educators who are current students at the NWU Potchefstroom campus. These students are volunteers who dedicate their time to helping and educating fellow students about health, social and academic matters. SALT is also affiliated with the SCC as a society.
- Sexually transmitted infections (STI) and condom week
- First things first – relates to a mass testing campaign for HIV and all communicable diseases (wellness for students and staff). First things first is hosted quarterly
- Women’s Day
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, and inter-sex (LGBTI)
- Gender-based violence (GBV)
- Red Chair – Red Chair concerns itself with awareness of and education on various wellness topics (e.g. gender-based violence and substance abuse), and is hosted within the residences
- May Measurement Month (MMM)
- Substance abuse
- 018 299 4382