What is the Student Teaching and Learning Experience Survey?
- This is the new name for the previous Student Lecturer Evaluations.
What is the aim of the Student Teaching and Learning Experience Survey?
- To determine the professional development areas pertaining to teaching and learning.
- To evaluate the quality of teaching and learning in a module aligned with the NWU Teaching and Learning Strategy.
- To ascertain how students perceive the module.
- To indicate how a module can be improved.
- To report to the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) the overall student participation and satisfaction rate.
- To enhance student access and success.
Click here to read more on the aim of the survey.
Where is the Student Teaching and Learning Experience Survey for Honours students?
- The undergraduate survey is also used for full-time Honours modules. The survey for Part-time Honours, Masters and PhD students must still be developed.
How many students need to complete the evaluations?
- You need 75% participation in every module that you lecture.
How will the students receive a link to the survey?
- The lecturers will receive a unique link to their survey which they must distribute to their students.
How can I promote the evaluations?
- Tell your students in person why the evaluations are so important to you as the lecturer.
- Place the link on your eFundi site as a Web Content Tool. Use this Web Content Tutorial if you need help creating a web content tool.
- Place announcements on your eFundi sites. Click here to view the example text.
- Create polls on your eFundi sites to determine how many students still need to complete the survey. Click here to view example text for the poll. Use this Poll Tutorial if you need help setting up a poll.
- Share this promotional video with your students. Click here to download it in order to upload it onto your own eFundi sites.
- Share this promotional poster with your students. Click here to download it in order to upload it onto your own eFundi sites.
(You can join this eFundi site to see examples of the above.)
Where can I read the formal communication sent out to Faculties?
- Click here to read the official communication sent out from the Office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Teaching and Learning on 4 May 2018.
We are two lecturers, each lecturing a section of the same module. Will students be able to complete the survey twice for the same module, each time indicating a different lecturer?
- Yes, the students will receive a survey separately from each lecturer.
What should I do if I do not receive an email with a link to the survey?
- Please click here to send Robyn Bunt an email.
When will the reports be distributed to faculties?
- The reports will be finalised and sent out to faculties after the end of June/October.
What will the report look like?
- Click here to see an example of how the report will look like.
- Click here to see what questions were used to generate the Contact Report.
- Click here to see what questions were used to generate the Distance Report.
Where/how can I access the my report?
- Your reports are available online at https://nextcloud.nwu.ac.za/. You will find your reports in a folder titled with your staff number. Only you will have access to your report. The Deans will receive a summary of the entire Faculty in one report. Please use Firefox or Chrome to access the report. The current semester reports are updated weekly so that you can monitor your students response rate.
- If you see a message that says account not provisioned, kindly contact Robyn Bunt (Robyn.Bunt@nwu.ac.za).