Attention 2022 graduates
The following will be applicable to all on-campus graduation ceremonies:
In the light of the current Covid-19 regulations, the NWU has reviewed the format of the graduation ceremonies for 2022. This is especially important for the potential positive experience associated with in-person graduation ceremonies and the opportunity for students to share the experience with family and friends. To this extent, and in full realisation of the ethic of care, the university has taken the decision to host in-person graduation ceremonies for 2022, subject to the requirements of the hazard identification risk assessment (HIRA).
According to the current planning, graduates will be hosted in a main venue, and their guests will be hosted in a nearby venue from where they will be able to view the ceremony as it is being streamed live.
All indications are that each graduate will be allowed three guests, but venue capacity, combined with the HIRA, will automatically dictate this. Details will be provided to graduates as part of their invitation.
All graduates and guests will have to adhere to Covid-19 regulations as well as NWU protocols. Details of these will also be included in the invitation.
Virtual conferral of degrees and awarding of diplomas - previous ceremonies 2021
Virtual conferral of degrees and awarding of diplomas - previous ceremonies 2020
About the Ceremonies Department
The Ceremonies Department is responsible for organising graduation ceremonies on all campuses, including:
- Scheduling of all graduation ceremonies
- Invitation of graduates to their ceremonies (± 3-4 weeks before the ceremony)
- Printing and signing over of degree certificates
- Printing of graduation programme booklets
- Dispatch of absentia degree certificates
- Handling of reissuing requests of degree certificates
- Responsibility for academic protocol and attire
Academic transcripts can be downloaded.
The ceremonies department is also responsible for organising other official ceremonies of the North-West University, including:
- Inauguration ceremonies
- Official opening ceremonies
- Official closing ceremonies
- Installation and reinstallation of the chancellor/vice-chancellor
- Farewell functions of senior dignitaries
- Appreciation functions for retirees
- Section head: Suzelle Buys
- Administrative officer: Daleen Gey van Pitteus
- Senior administrative assistant: Rethabile Dube
Tel 018 299 2623